Saturday, June 1, 2013

Being Ordinary

 Heard an interview with these guys on the Australian podcast, Urban Guru Cafe. Check 'em out.


http://www.beingordinary.org/

About

Being Ordinary is a website created by two friends, Tom and Mike, and is dedicated to the expression and exploration of what it truly means to be a human being. Ideas such as Enlightenment, Awakening or Self-Realisation, often serve to distract us from the ordinary and mundane from which we assume we must  escape or transcend. Yet if seen clearly, simple and directly, the ordinary can lead us into total acceptance and end the search for something ‘extra’.
These podcasts are the result of many discussions over many years  and although the essence of what is presented here does not require words, labels or theory, the sheer enjoyment and creativity of speaking about the wordless has led to these recorded discussions. We hope that whatever is expressed here directs you straight to the heart of the vast silence from which all expression arises.

Being Ordinary is a natural evolution of an earlier website we created called Sheer Uncanniness, which acted as a forum for discussion about the fundamental nature of being. The posts (including many excellent poems) are still available here through the archives.

About Tom…

I first got into spirituality in 2001 after reading the book Mindfulness: The Path to the Deathless by Ajahn Sumedho. Meditation has done me a lot of good over the years, I’d highly recommend it. I first met Mike in the students union at Lampeter University where we were studying Religious Studies, he looked like a bit of a hippy and I just thought we’d get on.
Nowadays I’m making websites and loving open source software and the open social web. You might like to read my book about spirituality and stuff, The Last Beyond. I am @twombh on Twitter.

About Mike…

Born and raised in the Isle of Man I was brought up around Therevadin Buddhism by my Father who ordained as a monk (you can visit his website at PureDhamma.org). After various travels in India and Asia I took a degree in Religious Studies at Lampeter in Wales, where I met Tom who was playing banjo and singing Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. After years of meditation, yoga and philosophy, I sought out teachers such as Ramesh Balsekar, Tony Parsons and Mooji who have  profoundly effected my own appreciation of  spirituality. I’ve also recently completed a Masters Degree in Western Esotericism.
I’ve recently began to teach Mindfulness Meditation & give talks on Nonduality. My website is http://www.myfreemind.im/. You might also enjoy leafing through my early blog on Awakening, Beginners Rope, or join me on twitter @MyFreeMind_IOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In a Barbie World

  Kate McKinnon presents the symbols of the polar choice Barbie faces Barbie turns the plight of women in a patriarchal world into the univ...